Monday, September 7, 2009

Jewelry You Won't Find In My Online Shops (Part 2)

My oldest daughter Audrey loves anything fantasy themed--fairies, dragons, etc. I have a tendancy to procrastinate on the girls' birthday jewelry, usually sitting down to make it the night before I need, but Audrey's special birthday piece was planned out well in advance this year.

I'm a member of an online forum where a group of us came together because of a love of beads and jewelry making and have formed some wonderful friendships. One of the things that several of us participate in is a travelling bead box--when the box reaches you, you take out the items you want and replace them with other goodies. It's like a big Christmas surprise every time the box arrives. In my last experience with the bead box I encountered the most fabulous polymer clay dragon focal, made by one of my favorite bead artists. The instant I laid eyes on it I knew that would be the centerpiece of Audrey's 17th birthday gift.


The pendant was created by my dear friend Valerie of http://valeriebeads.etsy.com The dragon is hand drawn on polymer clay with pencil and ink and sealed with a protective gloss. The back side (which I forgot to get a picture of) is a multi-shade of grey design that resembles dragonscales. I created the piece as a two strand necklace using silver-plated chain and bright pink dyed "jade" faceted beads. It is truely a unique one of a kind piece for my one of a kind daughter.


I'm currently working on some other projects using some of Valerie's beads. She has made some incredibly detailed floral and spider beads that I am working with and hope to have listed in the shop soon.

1 comment:

  1. Love what you did with the pendant! I just couldn't make it work for anything I put it in, although I loved making it. I'm glad that you could make it pop, and that Audrey can have a great b-day gift!

    ReplyDelete